SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM DEADLINE EXTENDED THROUGH APRIL 30, 2022!
The Nebraska Grocery Industry Association has established the Nebraska Grocery Industry Association Scholarship Program to achieve a number of highly desirable objectives. It recognizes and aids deserving students who are related to Nebraska’s food industry by virtue of their parents’ employment or their own part-time employment by businesses which are dues paying members of the Nebraska Grocery Industry Association (NGIA). This scholarship program was established as an expression of appreciation to the members of NGIA and as a service to its members.
- Employees or children of employees of businesses which pay dues to Nebraska Grocery Industry are eligible to apply for a scholarship.
- All applicants must have been employed for at least one year as of the scholarship deadline in the year in which the scholarship is awarded. The applicant must still be employed by the NGIA dues paying member at the time the scholarship is awarded.
- Applicants must have a minimum 2.5 GPA on a 4.0 scale. Applicants must plan to enroll in an undergraduate course (full or part time) of study at an accredited two or four year college, university, or vocational-technical school.
Full or Part Time Applicants must be employed at a dues-paying member. Part time is considered 6 or more credit hours.
High School Applicants: Must be high school seniors
Non-Traditional Applicants are classified as:
. single parents: single moms or single dads
. adult learners
. students who didn’t go directly to college after graduating high school or receiving their GED, and who are starting their higher education later in life
. students who have experienced an interruption in their higher education for some years, and are returning to complete their degree
Current College Students are eligible to make application for a scholarship each year they are an undergraduate
- The scholarship award will be a grant of $1,500 which must be used within 12 months of the awarding of the grant
- The NGIA scholarship must be applied toward tuition and fees to be tax free.
- Members are asked to make copies of this request for application form available to their employees.
- Applicants may obtain an application form at our website www.nebgrocery.com or by contacting the NGIA office via telephone, fax or USPS mail.
- Completed applications will be accepted between Jan. 1 and April 1 the year of the award. Applications must be postmarked or received by April 1. Applications received after this date will not be considered.
Selection of Winners
- An impartial Selection Committee composed of educators will meet in April to select the winner(s).
- In evaluating the applicants, the committee will consider each applicant’s academic record, test scores, extracurricular or workplace activities, recommendations, and a personal essay.
- All applicants are notified of the results of the competition by May 1.
Responsibilities of Recipients
- Scholarship recipients must enroll as a full-time or part-time student within 12 months of receiving the grant.
- Recipient is responsible for having an Enrollment Certificate completed at the beginning of the term.
- Enrollment Certificates are used to verify enrollment and to trigger payment.
Payment of Scholarship Funds
Payment is made directly to the student at the beginning of the academic term upon receipt of an Enrollment Certificate. Any refund of scholarship funds will be made to NGIA and placed back into the fund for re-distribution.